The signs are there that it’s going to be a hot summer! Our region in particular often experiences some scorching hot days. Now is the time to start thinking about how to keep you and your home cool and comfortable over the coming hot months.
Here are a few simple tips to get your home prepared. These tips can not only help keep you comfortable, but they will save you money on power costs, and should you wish to sell your home in the future, they are attractive features to buyers.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Ceiling fans reduce room temperature by four to five degrees. Additionally, if an air conditioner is also used, together they more efficiently keep your house cool.
- Air conditioners should be maintained and used properly. A dusty filter reduces air flow and increases energy costs by 5-15%. Clean the air filters every couple of months and replace when necessary. You should also keep heat-producing appliances such as televisions or lamps away from the air conditioner’s thermostat. The heat they produce can fool your thermostat into continuing to cool. Set the fan speed on high to help push cool air around the house.
It’s worth getting some advice from an air conditioning technician on efficiently running your air conditioner. A little advice can save you thousands of dollars long term.
- Use white shades and drapes on the inside of windows to deflect heat away from the house. In the morning keep the shades and drapes closed on the east-facing windows, and in the afternoon closed on the west-facing windows. This stops a lot of heat entering the house. Combine this with opening north and south facing windows for maximum air circulation.
- Cover the outside of the windows with shades, shutters or screens to further prevent heat from penetrating through the windows.
- Common culprits of internal heat build-up are appliances, electronic devices and lights. Compact fluorescents produce the same light as incandescent lights, but use a fifth of the energy and generate less heat. Also, avoid cooking during the hottest part of the day, and if possible use a range hood fan to direct the hot air out of your house.
Dougmal Harcourts – The Property People is the leader in local real estate sales and property management. Should you have any enquiries please call us on 4628 7444.